Randy is a lawyer, arbitrator, and mediator with more than 30-years’ experience, primarily in labour, employment, and human rights, working in both public and private sectors.
Prior to commencing his arbitration practice, Randy acted as in-house counsel both in the education and health sectors. He was co-founder of Noonan Hewson Law Firm in Vernon, B.C. He was counsel in many high-profile cases and has appeared before a wide range of administrative tribunals and all levels of courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Labour and Employment law are rife with issues that involve a sensitive balancing of interests and with maintaining ongoing relationships. Randy has spent many years discerning underlying issues and understanding what motivates the parties involved in disputes. He has a reputation as a fair and understanding arbitrator/mediator and for helping parties to find creative solutions to workplace and dismissal disputes.
Randy has had arbitration appointments in these sectors: education (both K-12 and Post-Secondary), health (both public and private), brewery, concrete, pulp and paper, lumber, forestry, food production, elevator, meat industry, soft drink industry, ferries, firefighting, police, shipyards, insurance, tug boat, packaging and transport
- Contract Disputes
- LLB – University of Victoria, 1987
- Justice Institute of BC – Conflict Resolution
- Legal Studies Scholarships from Swinton & Company, Davis and Company, Ladner Downs
- Studied/practiced in London, England on an international scholarship from Linklaters & Paines
- Law Clerk in the Supreme Court of British Columbia for Chief Justice Allan McEachern
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Arbitrators Association of BC
- Yukon Public Service Labour Relations Board (adjudicator)
- Canadian Council of Administrative Tribunals
- B.C. Council of Administrative Tribunals
- Yukon Teachers Labour Relations Board (adjudicator)
- Collective Agreement Arbitration Bureau Register of Arbitrators